Recieps

 

Flour Mix

This mix makes the best gluten-free cakes, cookies, and pie crusts.  It produces a tender, moist end product that I have not found with any other formula. Triple the measurements to have a large batch supply on hand for all your baking. It should be refrigerated in an airtight container to keep the brown rice flour fresh.

 

Multi Blend Gluten-Free Flour from www.authenticfoods.com

(also known in the book as Wendy Wark’s Gluten-Free Flour Mix)

 

1 cup brown rice flour

1¼ cup white rice flour

¼ cup potato starch flour

2/3 cup tapioca starch flour

¾ cup sweet rice flour

1/3 cup cornstarch

2 teaspoons xanthan or guar gum

 

Notes:

  • For a healthier mix:  use all brown rice flour-2 ¼ cups- and omit the white rice flour
  • Keep refrigerated
  • Tapioca starch flour, sweet rice flour, and cornstarch have similar characteristics. If you cannot tolerate corn, substitute with either of the other two flours.
  • For heavy cakes such as pound cake, make your own flour mix and use Ener-G Foods’ brown rice flour, the finer grind of this flour is ideal for heavier cakes.

 

Flour mix recipe originally from Wendy Wark’s book Living Healthy with Celiac Disease (AnAffect, 1998).

 

Xanthan Gum

 

You always need to include xanthan gum unless a mix already has it in there.  The multi blend has some x-gum in it so you can make pancakes, waffles, some cookies etc without adding extra but if you are going to bake a cake or bread, use the following:

 

Bread                1 teaspoon per cup of flour mix

Cakes               1/2 teaspoon per cup of flour mix

Cookies            1/4 teaspoon per cup of flour mix

 

Alternative Flours

 

There are a variety of healthy gluten-free alternative flours that you may use.  Be certain they are free of cross contamination from the field to the package by contacting the company and asking detailed questions.  Each of these flours offer the vitamins and nutrients many celiacs lack in their diet and they provide much better tasting bread, pancakes, waffles, pizza crust, and sweet breads.  Avoid purchasing flour from bulk bins in stores as cross contamination can be a problem.

Flour mix of gluten-free, contains about 40% of the protein and the remaining 60% is the white starch of the gluten-free. Take 400gm of millet flour, 300gm of sweet rice flour and 300gm of potato starch and add all these to the container. Shake well the container until all the flour colors become same. Know more from the

Post navigation