Gluten Free Plum Tart (with dairy free and egg free options)
I walked out to the garden to pick tomatoes today and was greeted by some very busy spiders. This is the time of year when fruit flies and spiders are quite busy. The fruit flies are always a sign of ripe plums in the neighborhood (and those that have fallen to the ground) and so it is the time of year to make a plum tart.
This post is part of our monthly Ratio Rally-find out more from Charissa at Zest Bakery–our leader this month.
My ratio for flour : fat : liquid is a little different than our guide of Ruhlman’s Ratio his is 3:2:1
Mine is 2:1:1 for a crust made with eggs and butter and a bit closer to Ruhlman’s when using lard and water.
Gluten-Free Pie Crust
My pie crust recipe was inspired by chef Rebecca Reilly. Rebecca really changed gluten free baking by adding her knowledge as a cordon bleu trained chef. We both began adding sweet rice flour into the mix at a time when only rice flour, tapioca flour, and potato starch flours were in use. And while on opposite coasts, we were each introducing healthier flours whenever possible. Amaranth, teff, pure buckwheat, quinoa were the front runners then . Now many wonderful flours are in use. I am grateful for her first very lovely cookbook Gluten Free Goodies. The method I use now is from my time at Seattle Pie Co. where we made tons of pies but the ingredients are in line with Rebecca’s approach.
I now incorporate current favorites of millet flour and finely ground oats for a more nutritious treat. ….
a must since pie is always for breakfast if it is in the house.
Pie crust recipe available in Cooking Gluten-Free! at time of order request the DF and EF pie crust recipe too.
The list of other gluten free ratio rally participants:
- Paula of Gapey’s Grub made Sugar Free Pear Tart
- Heather of Discovering the Extraordinary made No-Bake Mini Pumpkin Tarts (grain free)
- Pete and Kelli of No Gluten, No Problem made Spiced Cider-Poached Cinnamon Apple Tart
- Jonathan of The Canary Files made Vegan Cardamom Cashew Cream & Fig Tartlettes
- Mary Fran of FrannyCakes made Savory Sweet Potato tart with a brown butter crust
- Caneel of Mama Me Gluten Free made Pecan Tollhouse Tarts
- Morri of Meals with Morri made Savory Onion Tart with Pâte à Foncer Crust
- Jean Layton of Gluten-Free Doctor made Nectarine Roses
- Claire Berman of This Gluten-Free Life made Summer Tomato Tarts